I started off with a very basic rule set and a set of crude cards to use for play testing. I wanted to prioritize game play before even touching the graphic design.
The first draft of the game was very simple. Players would play pancakes and toppings of various positive and negative point values in front of themselves and others to create stacks of pancakes. Once a player was ready to finalize the points for their stacks, they would purchase a finisher (such as syrup or butter) using cards from their hand.
Below are two sheets of crude play testing cards that I used very early on in development.
After a few rounds of play testing I finalized the game play mechanics. They went through extensive changes, particularly the use of "finishers." One of the biggest changes was the finishers. Instead of purchasing finishers, they now would be earned by completing goals that were written on the finisher cards.
At this point the game play was pretty solid so I began to work on card design. One of the biggest challenges was deciding how to orient the pancake graphic so that you could form stacks of pancakes by laying the cards on top of each other.
Below are two drafts of the Buttermilk Pancake card.
It took a lot of debating, but I eventually settled having the pancake graphic at the bottom of the card instead of having it upside down at the top of the card.
There's still more tweaking to go. I can't wait until I am finally finished. :)