The Breakfast Blog™ is back! Maybe!
It's amazing to see how far we've come. Your support means the world to us.
Thank you so much for sticking with us and being patient. We love you. <3
Oh jeez, I never posted this here, I guess. I'm a pretty bad blogger, truth be told.
We went to MAGFest to promote the game in January and it was awesome. If you missed it, here's a compilation video that I threw together! :D
Remembering humble beginnings for the Holidays.
Hope your year was filled with lots of progress and lots of love. <3
As you could probably tell from my last post, I'll be at MAGFest!
From January 5th - 8th I will be presenting FAT STACKS AT MAGFEST! WOO! GET HYPE! :D
I was not at all expecting to be moving into the marketing phase of this project so soon, but I am so excited to finally get to share my game with the gaming community. Everything has just sort of fallen into place so fast. This month and next month you can expect a LOT of updates from me as I will be getting my Kickstarter ready to go in time for MAGFest.
Anyway, I got some business cards printed via UPrinting and they are perfect. I am super proud of them. <3
Check them out!
I got a few copies printed via The Game Crafter.
I haven't been paid by The Game Crafter, just decided to make an unboxing of the first professional copies of my game. :) The official versions of the game will be printed with Print Ninja.
Just wanted to share a little bit of what I have been working on. :)
I decided that I wanted to start designing some themed expansions to use as stretch goals. So far I have six pancakes, six toppings, and one finisher planned out for a ~HOLIDAY THEMED~ expansion.
Here's some teaser graphics for you:
Got a set of full color card stock prototypes printed for the next round of play testing. There's still a lot of tweaking to be done, but I'm really happy with the results so far!
I started off with a very basic rule set and a set of crude cards to use for play testing. I wanted to prioritize game play before even touching the graphic design.
The first draft of the game was very simple. Players would play pancakes and toppings of various positive and negative point values in front of themselves and others to create stacks of pancakes. Once a player was ready to finalize the points for their stacks, they would purchase a finisher (such as syrup or butter) using cards from their hand.
Below are two sheets of crude play testing cards that I used very early on in development.
After a few rounds of play testing I finalized the game play mechanics. They went through extensive changes, particularly the use of "finishers." One of the biggest changes was the finishers. Instead of purchasing finishers, they now would be earned by completing goals that were written on the finisher cards.
At this point the game play was pretty solid so I began to work on card design. One of the biggest challenges was deciding how to orient the pancake graphic so that you could form stacks of pancakes by laying the cards on top of each other.
Below are two drafts of the Buttermilk Pancake card.
It took a lot of debating, but I eventually settled having the pancake graphic at the bottom of the card instead of having it upside down at the top of the card.
There's still more tweaking to go. I can't wait until I am finally finished. :)